December 13th, 2013
Hello, all! As I mentioned in my previous post, American Duchess and I have collaborated to bring you “Stratford,” an Elizabethan/Jacobean shoe now available for pre-order. These come in both ladies and mens sizes! You can find full details and pre-order here!
Additionally, I am happy to offer silk satin, double faced, shoelace ribbons perfect for any kind of simple tie-closure shoe. This is real silk, not polyester like many ribbons out there. At the end are two handmade brass aglets or tips, into which the ribbon has been inserted and kept in place with a little bit of glue and a gentle crimp. They come in 1″, 1.5″, and 2″ widths, and a variety of colors, and make an excellent addition to “Stratford.” You can find them on my Etsy site, and the silver 2″ wide ribbon is pictured on the right.
1″ Ribbon Shoelaces: https://www.etsy.com/listing/171969994
1.5″ Ribbon Shoelaces: https://www.etsy.com/listing/172396199
2″ Ribbon Shoelaces: https://www.etsy.com/listing/171985795
November 26th, 2013
I did allude to some news a while back, and now I can let the cat out of the bag – American Duchess and I have collaborated to bring you a truly remarkable shoe! “Stratford” is a reproduction 1600s shoe, suitable for both men and women from about the 1580s through to the 1630s. We both worked very hard to bring you this piece, and we’re terribly pleased to offer Stratford to you, designed by yours truly, and produced by American Duchess. Below, I provide some interim design stages and background about the process, but first, let me give you Stratford!
“Wait a moment,” you might say. “These look just like your past work, which you’ve documented in Lesson 8!”
Exactly. =) Still curious? Click below…
Read the rest of this entry »
October 29th, 2013
I feel a need to demonstrate to you all that although October has been an incredibly busy month, and although I’ve made progress on several projects that have not yet been completed (but look for some candy-posts in November =), I did finish up this pair of 1550s shoes for a friend of mine – my apologies for the poor shot, but I was in a rush to get it shipped out. Flat sole, wool sock, pinking and scoring on the vamp and quarters, whipped in stiffener. I tried to curve the sole of the last to pull the treadsole stitching in underneath the shoe, but I suspect that it needs to be much more extreme than I made it in order to be like some of the period examples where the upper (the toe especially) overhangs the treadsole by what seems to be a good quarter inch.
October 1st, 2013
There are some very exciting projects that are currently in the works! I dare not post about them until all things are settled, and my apologies for the total tease. In truth, my goal has always been to try and get people into high quality footwear that looks good and feels comfortable. I try to do this through classes, through teaching, and as well as through taking commissions. These projects-which-shall-not-be-named-as-yet takes this endeavor to whole new audiences, hence pushing my agenda to shoe the historical world in quality footwear. Stay tuned for more details…!